Friday, October 28, 2011

Review #14: Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding

I've been wanting to read this book for years, ever since my mother bought a copy way back when it came out and I would skim through it looking for the sexy parts. I later saw the movie, and enjoyed it, so when I was putting together my reading list for the summer, I threw this book on it.

And I wasn't disappointed. Bridget Jones is, as everyone knows, about the titular character, a thirty-something British woman with a weight problem, a cigarette addiction, and a crush on her dashing boss. The book is written, obviously, as her diary.

I won't say too much about the plot since a) everyone is already fairly familiar with it and b) the plot is subordinate to Bridget's character. The biggest draw of this book is her voice--she is hilarious, and I found myself laughing embarrassingly loudly pretty much throughout the entire thing. Bridget is a really relatable narrator and she's the kind of character I wish were real, so that we could be friends.

All in all, a great, funny, quick read. Perfect if you need something light and fluffy to relax with after a long day or on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment